Thursday, November 08, 2007

Let's paaaaaaaaaarty!!

One facet of my job is spending time in a classroom setting with children that have emotional, spiritual or social issues; getting to know them, spending time with them, developing a trust relationship with them.

Another facet is the care relationship with our teachers, so sometimes, on "wet days" (where lunches and morning teas must be taken indoors), I like to go 'round to the classes and help with the kids - letting the teacher have a break and giving me a chance to get to know the kids.

Yesterday, was my kindergarten (or "prep" class) day. I spent the morning and lunches drawing pictures of pirate ships, making play-doh pizzas, dancing a conga line and learning the YMCA dance.

This is apparently part of the core curriculum in Queensland. Who knew?

But the real joy was excitement of the little ones about their "prep disco" tonight. They are ecstatic about heading off to the community hall to "boogie" (yes, a child actually dared use that word), and to "shake their butt" (although, with Oscar's speech impediment, I heard him say "shave my butt". Knowing little Oscar, I wouldn't put it past him...)

I asked them what they would be wearing, and some said they were going to wear a pretty dress - including one boy, oddly enough; some said they were going in swim togs, and a surprising number will apparently be going naked, or with underpants on their heads.

Australia is a social minefield, I tell you.

And children are weird and wonderful creatures....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last paragraph made me laugh :)


Funny, aren't they? Memories like that are rushing back into my mind now...

Thank you for brightening my evening!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home