Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I am building a castle brick by brick
The walls are stone and three feet thick
I seal it up with mortar and pebble
To keep in the light and to keep out the devil

Inside of my castle; my favourite things
His love and his laughter, the joy that he brings
To my life are all hidden away safe and sound
Sealed up in the castle, nevermore to be found

I've built secret rooms in this fortress of mine
With heavy locked doors made of iron and pine
Behind them I've cached what I cannot replace:
The blue of his eyes and the smile on his face

I've hidden away his soft sideways glance,
His poems, his music; his strong, gentle hands
That streak of good humour, so fine and so rare
The curve of his shoulder, the gold of his hair

And here in the dungeon, a deep oubliette
Where I put all my sorrow, my pain and regret
They howl and they clamour, their cries fill the air
Reminding me that they will always be there

At the heart of the castle, in the great granite hall
Lies a chest that contains the greatest treasure of all
It is a gift from which I could never part
In this chest made of gold lies his beautiful heart

It is a prize that I cherish, its value and measure
Are greater than that of a pirate king's treasure
It is pure and beloved, both kind and sincere
A heart that has known neither malice nor fear

But I am the court jester, unworthy and base
I do not deserve his wild heart full of grace
Each time I approach it, I note with alarm
I manage to do it some terrible harm

I drop it and kick it, it skitters away
I chase it, retrieve it, and tuck it away
I bruise it and cut it and cause it such pain
Yet it lets me return, lets me hold it again

I am told I am clumsy, and told I am cruel
But what more is there can be asked of a fool?
And I know that one day (there's no need to explain it)
The owner of that heart will come back to reclaim it.

But this treasure is one I can never surrender
It so perfect, so loving, so warm and so tender
So I am building a castle, walls, ceiling and floor
And he can just bloody well kick down the door

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home