Friday, June 30, 2006

how i came to canada

they are running a wee contest at work. every word of this submission is true. except the bit about the cheap wine.

with my folks, it was likely a case of colt 45.

With Canada Day around the corner, we thought it would be interesting to learn more about our co-workers, and their connection with Canada.

The contest is called How I came to Canada!
The story would be an anecdote around the circumstances of how you came to Canada. The committee will collect the stories and use them to devise a quiz for the contest. We want to hear stories about your origin, your family's origin, and any other interesting tidbits about how you came to live in Canada.



my father immigrated to canada from england and became a citizen in the late fifties. in 1953, he was paid $200.00 to travel to czechoslovakia and marry my mother, bring her to canada legally and then divorce her (actually, 28 years later, death did them part). and so she arrived in canada on canada day, 1964, not speaking a word of english, married to a man she'd known for only 6 days (and they tell us internet relationships are weird??)


one night, after a cheap bottle of wine, my father looked at my mother and said "hey, are you thinking what i'm thinking?"


my mother, not speaking a word of english, simply smiled and nodded.


and so it was that i was born in east york general hospital. and as a symbol of how happy my parents were to have me, they named me after a shipwreck (the andrea doria, 1956)


did i mention my mother didn't speak english?

7 Comments:

Blogger AMackid said...

*aj shakes head* "shipwreck. suddenly it all becomes so clear"

and please be careful about "waving your flag enthusiastically". last i remember, it was glued to the back of the car......

7:23 PM  
Blogger Brock said...

I like Andrea Doria. Think of the alternatives, this could be the Cruel and Unusual World of Mary Celeste, Empress of Ireland, Titanic (I'm going to get it for that one!)or even Exxon Valdez (I know - anachronistic).

Happy Canada Day divine Ms. B.

PS - Don't you have an Edmund Fitzgerald at work?

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, happy belated Canada day! i have relatives that live there and when they vistit you can tell where they come from!...they aren't Canadian, but they've lived there for at least 70 years. How is Canada? I've always wanted to travel througout your country to see how the culture up there differs from that of the U.S.A

6:04 PM  
Blogger AMackid said...

hmmm... how does our culture differ?

well, try this old joke on for size: how do you make a canadian apologize?

step on his foot :)

and you'd be welcome in canada any say!

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)....

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's quite a story. btw, the story of the andrea doria is fascinating, and it's one of my life's ambitions to dive it.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home