Tuesday, January 22, 2008

An utterly pointless posting


There is nothing amusing, or charming or delightful about this post, as all of my posts are... ;-)



But I can't tell you how I've been hanging about for a year for the release of "Sweeney Todd". Sondheim is an amazing composer and librettist, but Sweeney Todd has been a favourite of mine for years.

I don't know how Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter will handle the incredibly challenging score (even the great Patty LuPone -who played "Mrs. Lovett" in the 2006 Broadway revival - admitted that the score was a complete b@stard); but I am so looking forward to hearing my favourite songs ("The Worst Pies on London", "A Little Priest" and "God that's Good") brought to life, and shared with people that have never been exposed to this marvellous work. Sweeney Todd has been a masterpiece since Angela Landsbury debuted the role of Mrs. Lovett)

While I have no idea how Tim Burton has handled the material, I hope that people that have never experienced the pleasure of Sondheim will truly enjoy this dark and delightful oevre...

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am suddenly rather hungry for meat pie....

Do you know it takes about a pound of vegetable shortening per pie shell? I made one the other day. It was tastey, however I have decided that I should roll the lard onto my butt and thighs .... that is where its going anyhow!!

Would you and your beloves like to roll in lard with me and then have a game of twister? Its all very up and up ..... weeeeee!!

Hope all is well!
Snowy in Canada!

12:35 PM  
Blogger AMackid said...

oh and it was so disappointing!! the sydney morning herald pointed out that this rendition would be a complete let-down to hard-core fans like me; and they were right.

bonham-carter was so bad, that they removed or "truncated" her character's strongest numbers (i don't believe she could have handled the full version of "God that's good" based on her sleepwalking through "worst pies on london", "by the sea" and "a litte priest"; though she did fairly well with the simple "poor thing")

depp at least pulled of "epiphany" (a brutally difficult solo) - even if he didn't exactly "shine" in it; and rickman and spall did quite well with "pretty women" and such, considering that they are not musical theater actors.

sasha baron cohen was delicious as "pirelli", and made me regret that it was such a small role; but the actors playing "antony" and "toby" were simply stellar - likely because they were actually singers.

this was a troublesome production as it underscored the danger of giving such a challenging piece to an iconic director like burton: on the one hand, it'd have never gotten made without his involvement, i am sure; and yet he couldn't help jumping up and down on it to stamp his image into its face.

oh well.

"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it.
But not for long..."

as sweeney todd says....

5:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

beauty queen meat pie?

6:54 AM  
Blogger Brock said...

It will never compare to the Bugs Bunny version.

(or am I thinking of Barber of Seville?)

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home