Friday, October 27, 2006

hallowe'eners and beans

while john has posted a very insightful and concise history of hallowe'en on his profile (which is worth hanging around on no matter what), i realize there are christians that struggle with it.

i am pleased to announce i am not one of them.

and why?

in a word: candy.

the argument has been made that as hallowe'en's roots are pagan it should figure nowhere into the christian holiday calendar. well, my learned friends - if that's the stance you want to take, you can't have any of my tootsies rolls you'll have to throw out a huge chunk of easter and most of christmas too.

i think, (and upon occasion i do) that the more relevant question is, is halowe'en still a pagan holiday? well, it is still celebrated by pagans in parts of the world, but then so is easter - so i don't think that means we should stop celebrating easter or the chocolate fest that's become either. rather, i'd hope we might take a look at what hallowe'en means to us as a community, our children and the canadian diabetic association.

hallowe'en is a marvellous social event. it is one day a year that parents can get out into the neighbourhood and actually meet their neighbours. children dressed up as ghosts, ballerinas and wads of chewed up bubble gum (yes, i had a troubled childhood, what's your point??) are a guaranteed ice-breaker: conversation with someone you might see once a year doesn't have to be forced or stilted; and for your child's part, the little biatch that wouldn't put on that fifty dollar cher costume i reserved for her in july but noooooo… she has to be a gypsy! who the hell dresses like a gypsy anyway and is that my hermes tie???? that adorable little ragamuffin gets candy.

lots and lots of candy. now granted some of it is that cheap dollar-store candy that's made in someplace like kuala lumpur and tastes like a benobo's ass; but you know that even that cheap candy will get eaten in december before the christmas candy rush starts. and the barter potential of much of the good candy you get will get you out of at least one beat-down at school because your parents sent you out dressed as a wad of chewing gum and let your sister indulge her fantasies of being a bag lady.

and as for the adults, its a prime opportunity to get to know which kids belong to which parents, where they live, who their brothers and sisters are, who are being taken around by a really hot nanny, and which are being raised by that really cute single dad with the lexus down the street.

and did i mention there's candy??????

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....Well, whether it's truly a Pagan Holiday or not, I don't know, all I know is that I've never considered it a holiday such as Easter or Christmas, I just always viewed it as a day that young children can get out and have fun, and well, I guess the parents either have fun too or merely become annoyed... ;)

I'll just say this right now, I absolutely hated trick-treating..the last time I went was when I was 9...

No, I was this 7 year old girl who prefered to hand out candy at her grandma's house than go trick-or-treating to get candy for herself... I mean, c'mon, what child at age 7 or so doesn't love candy?? Apparently not me.... ;P

I would always get done trick-or-treating ASAP so I could go hand out candy from my grandma's house...right.

Next time you see a little girl who would rather hand out candy than get it, let me know...I'd be surprised if I ever met anyone else who was like that.... :D

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

candy, yes, but who would forfeit a perfect excuse to PLAY DRESS UP?!

8:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL oz!

The funny thing is that you are actually not too far off with the liguistic semantical error.

When considering the anglo-saxon language the world - Hallow - and Holy are very close and were dependent on suffixes to receive their diffentiation.

So ... Hallowmas - All Hollos and All Holy Mas, and Halloween - Holy and Hallow evening seem to have all been slammed together. Check out the Bosworth and Toller Anglo saxon dictioanry: http://lexicon.ff.cuni.cz/etc/aa_texts.html

I see similarities in the festivals, I read John's essay ... however I must admit, they are similar but they are NOT the same. Day of the Dead, Samhain, All Hallows are all religious sacred days, of differing religions. I am unsure as to why people try to lump them all together, they are not the same ... I think we should all come together for the candy though.... !!!

currently I am making almond cookies...I didn't have almond exract so I used amaretto ... can I still give these to the kids?

Peace and Blessings

Lil sparrow.

9:08 PM  
Blogger AMackid said...

not that i'd ever presume to speak for my love; but there are cookies involved.

we're in.

:D

9:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am couriering the cookies as we speak ....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Día de los Muertos", or "Day of the Dead"...intriguing really.

Halloween just reminded me of this day...so nevermind my drivel here..though it really has nothing to do with it.. ;)


Mexico honors those gone but not forgotten. Many think this day is gruesome, if it is viewed merely from a watchful stance, but in the more clear observation, it's really not gruesome at all...A little odd in ways, yes, but not gruesome..

The first day is generally dedicated to infants and children who've passed away, "little angels" and the second day is dedicated to adults who've passed away..(Nov 1st & 2nd)

They build altars on the gravestones to their late family members and friends. On the altar are objects that remind them of that person, and these objects can be anything and everything from books to foods to paint...

The one thing about it that I find quite disturbing is it is, in fact, put bluntly, a party at the cememetary...people will spend all day there, and the night too, eating, drinking, and conversing with one another...A party at the cemetary...no thanks.. ;D

Anyhow, it's truly nothing to with halloween....people dress up to show spirit for well, the spirits of course..

All in all, this day celebrated by many Mexicans, I find quite intriguing..but that's just me. ;P

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry that should be "nothing to do with halloween"..not "nothing to with halloween"...

7:29 PM  
Blogger brisbaneoz said...

Well - I survived trick or treating! I resorted to the age old child rearing technique of bribery. So much for all those lessons about not taking candy from strangers!!

Despite the outcry about being aussies and that we shouldn't adopt american traditions, there was a steady stream of greedy mites pounding on my door.

It will be sweet revenge when they all grow up to be EVIL...hehehehe Just like all those men have become perpetually romantic after so many Valentines days .... or was that something else after St Patrick's Day??

My house is safe for another year. Now to decide what to do with the leftovers. Any suggestions for what to do with leftover MilkyWay?

3:20 AM  
Blogger AMackid said...

sorry, "leftover milky way"??

i am afraid i am completely unfamiliar with the concept. please explain.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Please send leftover Milky Ways to:

Madame Mackid
736 Bathurst Street,
Toronto ON
M5S 2R4

tee hee heee heee .... we will forward them to her from there.... :)otherwise...melt them down and use them in cookies!

12:10 PM  
Blogger brisbaneoz said...

Due to prevailing "quarantine" restrictions, I am unable to post them further than my er um lunch box!

I struggle with the concept of "leftover biltong" and it is not something I am seeking help with either.

"biltong" - spiced dried meat prepared in the traditional south african manner.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

4:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sigh .... :)

Biltong?

BILTONG???

EEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home